Womens 3rd Team – Head Coach Season Review

stuart
Monday 30 March 2020

This season was a game of two halves. During the first half of the season we had little or no consistency within the squad and I was never able to field a settled team, or one that didn’t show at least five changes from the previous game.
Results as follows:
Lost 2-1 v Stirling 3s (a)
Lost 3-1 v Glasgow 2s (a)
Lost 6-1 v Edinburgh 3s (a)
Lost 3-1 v Stirling 3s (h)

We found goals hard to come by and had to rely on Veronica’s pace to get us out of trouble as she was really our only option upfront alongside Chin, who left at Christmas.

The second half of the season was like night and day and the good team spirit – that was always there but had been superseded by a slightly frustrated feeling – was back; it helped that most of our games were at home.
Results:
Lost 5-0 v Glasgow 2s (h)
Walkover v Glasgow Caledonian
Won v Edinburgh Napier (h)
Lost 2-1 v Glasgow Caledonian (a)
Lost 2-1 v Dundee 1s (h)
Lost 2-0 v Edinburgh 3s (h)

Although we only won one game, that game against Napier in the cup was very significant given the excitement of the penalty shootout and the quality of the opposition (flying high in the league above us). It was no surprise that the team sheet that day featured every girl who would always be on my team sheet given the luxury of their availability. That game did so much for the confidence of the girls and for many will probably be the highlight of their university football experience. Personally I was thrilled for the girls and it was definitely the highlight of my university experience to date.

It remains to be seen what next season will look like for the 3s; we will have lost four key players, with two other main players studying away for a season. I know many of the girls love their football and really want to continue playing games with the 3s; many of them improved steadily as the season went on and the game experience will have stood them in good stead. There is a great team spirit within the 3s and I love working with the girls, although I will miss those who have left us, greatly.

Olivia Blair

Women’s 3td Team Head Coach